Introduction To Smart Glass Film
Smart glass film, the present-day curtains or blinds is what they call it. With the development of science and technology, people are applying hi-tech products to their life. Just to be scientifically correct-Smart Glass Film is a kind of optoelectrical laminated glass, which is also called switchable glass. It is an innovative building material that allows the transparent window to be switched on-demand, from clear to completely private opaqueness. It is the best option to more delicate and sensitive projects like nurseries, clinics, and hospitals, where protection and security is their main concern.
How is it made?
The laminated smart glass film is composed of two layers of toughened glass on the outer side, PDLC (polymer dispersed liquid crystal) smart film in the middle integrated with EVA/PVB film to form a sandwich-like structure. All the materials are bonded together through an autoclave machine.
Most of them are operated under a certain voltage (48/60vac) which requires a transformer to supply the appropriate voltage.
The material you would need to make smart glass film:
There are mainly three components required to make any PDLC smart glass film. Listing them below
- Clear PET (polyethylene Terephthalate film-this used to protect and enclose PDLC solution and ensure maximum transparency.
- ITO (indium tin oxide) Film- this layer of the smart glass films provides the conductive capacity to the structure. apart from providing transparency it also provides the safe passage to the current to pass to the most complex layer.
- PDLC (Polymer Dispersed Liquid Crystal) core: This
100 micron-thick core consists of micro-droplets of liquid crystal that is suspended in a polymer. This material is designed to react to electrical current.
Important precautions to be taken while manufacturing:
- Even the slightest imperfection in the raw material or the manufacturing process could result in the compromise of the quality of your smart glass film. Quality and control should be an important factor to consider for the manufactures.
- Manufacturing facilities should be at their best that meet the high standards of the smart glass film. Ensuring the customer should receive the best product.
- Lamination should be done in the furnaces – this would strengthen the bond between the film and the glass.
- The sensitivities of the smart glass film should be strictly handled by the experts.
- Use a cleanroom for the manufacturing of the smart glass film.
- The dust-free glass production allows the smart glass film to last for more than ten years.
- Smart film production requires huge funds to support its R&D, machinery, manufacturer, and factory-built, so the original factory is few around the world.
- Each smart glass film is required top quality one to manufacturer PDLC film.
How is it made?
Basically, the manufacturing of the smart glass film consists of two-step that I will be mentioning below.
Step one: it includes all the cleaning of the glass
Cutting the glass:
It is an obvious process to cut your glass into desired shape and sizes
Reaming means to make holes, cutouts, and notches into your glass, there is some glass that is AC-Fan fitted, for that we need to make a hole to fit it in that is called reaming. After that, reaming the glass is done according to the desire of the customer or any purpose. Sometimes reaming in the glass is done to fit the screws as well.
This step is done to just make your glass smooth from the edges, after that, it is polished, and made more cleaner, attractive and safer to carry on further more processes
Step two: it includes all the coatings of the glass
Now comes to the complex part of the manufacturing where some of the machinery and science is applied.
washing the glass
Each piece of glass is washed with special washing machinery. This machine comes in different sizes and at different prices as well. The price ranges from 5000$ to 15000$. This process is essential for cleaning your glass so that it is free from all the dust particles so the quality of it is not compromised.
wiping the glass:
To ensure the dust-free glass in this step the glass is wiped and washed so that the glass is cleaned and shining bright like a diamond!
3.coating of EVA FILM:
Now the top of the glass is covered by an EVA-Film, this is the coating on the glass that is applied.
PDLC Film coating:
Now comes the most important coating without which the smart glass film would not be able to provide its function of controlling the light. In this process, the glass is again coated with a PDLC film with busbar wires attached to it. Not to forget this coating is non-adhesive this layer is sandwiched between the two Eva film and the smart film
second EVA-Film coating:
Now another EVA-Film is applied over the Smart PDLC Film.
2nd glass coating:
Another piece of glass is dusted, washed, and dried. This glass is put on top of the smart PDLC film. Now the glass that is ready has a PDLC Film laminated between the EVA film and the tampered glass.
Cutting the extra edges:
The extra edges of all the coatings on the glass are chopped off carefully according to the size of the glass.
applying PET FILM at the sides:
The side edges of this smart film are taped with PET films to make the glass heat resistant.
Now the wires are attached along with the PET films double-sided tapes.
wrapping the laminated glass:
Wrap the laminated glass with a PET bag. Make sure there is no air in the bag.
Now the smart film is laminated in the furnace for about 5 hours
It is rolled in and packed in boxes to enter your world
Guess what? your smart glass film is ready to dispatch!
Why lamination in a furnace?
Lamination is done in the furnaces for 5 hours but what is the benefit of that? Advantages of laminating in the furnaces
Since the lamination timing is controllable, when the gas and water vapor are substantially eliminated, the pressure in the vacuum furnace is raised. The air in the laminated vacuum glass is reduced, and the bonding strength between the film and the glass is improved and strong laminated.
Take Away on Smart glass film
All steps are requested to be done in a high-quality environment (Dust-free and constant temperature and humidity) to ensure the durable quality of the glass.
Smart film production requires huge funds to support its R&D, machinery, manufacturer, and factory-built, so the original factory is few around the world.
Regarding smart film quality, their many reasons, the key factor might be its machinery, material, liquid crystal technology matured or not.
It generally uses a transformer or power controller to manipulate power. It is switchable, dimmable, and WIFI enabled. The transformer needs to be turned off at least once per day.
QUALITY IS THE BEST BUSINESS PLAN!`